How do I Change my Voter Status?

Under Section 2 of the Election (Registration of Electors) Regulations 2002, any eligible Malaysian can register to vote under the category of an ‘ordinary elector’ or ‘absent voter’. According to common practice, an ordinary elector is someone who must return to Malaysia to vote, whereas an ‘absent voter’ (overseas Malaysian students and civil servants), may vote via postal voting.

To register as an elector, one must satisfy the following conditions:

  1. a) Be a Malaysian citizen;
    b) Be 21 years old and above;
    c) Never been barred /disqualified by any laws in force.

If you are unsure if you have registered before, please visit the Election Commission of Malaysia / Suruhanjaya Pilihan Raya (SPR) website: SPR Registration Status and key in your identity card number to check.

Categories of Electors

(1) Normal Electors

Normal electors consist of everyday Malaysians whose names have been gazetted in the electoral roll. When the time comes for an election, Normal Electors need to return to Malaysia to cast their votes in the constituent/area they have registered.

(2) Absent Voters

Absent voters are those specified under Regulation 2 (c) of Election Regulations (Registration of Electors) 2002 as:-

  1. Malaysian civil servants in any state government / local authority /statutory authority serving abroad (including spouse); and
  2. full-time Malaysian students (including spouse) studying abroad at any university/training institution / institute of higher learning.

Absent voters can cast their vote through postal ballots.  Voting paper will be distributed once the High Commission has received it from SPR.

(3) Recent Developments

Overseas Voters: Changing your status

Owing to the definition of both categories, Malaysians who wish to vote in the upcoming elections will need to change your status as soon as possible, as your application to change your status may take up to 6 months to be gazetted in the electoral roll.

You may proceed to register in person at the Malaysians consular office/embassy/ mission to apply to change your voter category. Make sure to bring along your IC and passport. To be safe, give your embassy a call to make sure that you have all necessary documents.

Before signing the registration form (Borang A), please ensure that your particulars are correct and keep a copy of the registration form that is given to you as proof of registration in the event that your name did not appear in the draft of the Supplementary Roll when it is exhibited.

Certification of Electoral Roll

Eligible Malaysians who wish to vote in the upcoming election are advised to register as soon as possible.  Please refer to the process below:-

The electoral roll is amended each quarter.  Each additional voter on the amended electoral roll will only be certified to vote after the exhibition of the draft of the Electoral Roll, and following that the claims and objections period.

Processing time:

At the end of each quarter, it takes 6-8 weeks for the amended Electoral Roll to be certified, which can then be used in the general election or by-election.

For more information, drop us an enquiry at