Goals: 1) To raise the profile of Bersih 5 events and groups throughout Malaysia (not just in the Klang Valley). 2) To create concrete ties of solidarity between Global and local Bersih groups for and beyond Bersih 5.
Setting up the Twinning: 1) Look through the list of convoy cities provided and pick a twin city/kawasan kembar. 2) Let Fadiah (GB Secretariat) know. She’ll check that the city is available and make any necessary arrangements. 3) Look through the list provided and contact the coordinator for your twin city. 4) Inform Fadiah of your group’s FB page so that GB can repost some of your updates about your twin city!
Some Examples of Possible Collective Actions for Bersih 5
- Cologne/Germany will make an announcement on their FB page a few days before the arrival of the convoy that they are proud to have Georgetown as their twin city.
- On the day the convoy arrives in Georgetown, Cologne/Germany will post a picture of themselves with a poster: ‘Bersih Cologne welcomes Bersih 5 Convoy to Georgetown’.
- Cologne will have a representative in Georgetown during the convoy, who will join the convoy and is bringing two items to show support and solidarity: a banner signed by Bersih 4 Cologne participants and a small replica of the Cologne Dome where Bersih 5 will take place.
- Live updates from Georgetown will be posted on Bersih Germany FB during the convoy.
- Paris/France has obtained photos and videos of the convoy flag-off in Lumut (from their own contacts and also through Global Bersih), which will be be posted on their FB page.
Bersih 5 is an opportunity for Malaysians abroad to get in touch with local Bersih 2.0 organisers (and more broadly local Malaysian civil society groups) throughtout Malaysia and see how we can help, support and learn from each other.
Some Examples of Possible Collective Actions in the Medium and Long Term
- Once contact has been established, twin cities could keep each other updated on (and help each other to publicise) activities on each side, perhaps at agreed-upon intervals. They could exchange information and ideas around how each group functions, discuss their respective roles in the big picture of the Bersih 2.0 movement etc. In-person meetings and discussions could happen as and when people travel.
- Both Cologne and Paris are planning to update their FB page with factoids about Georgetown and Lumut respectively. Some possible themes: Local activists (who are or deserve to be well-known) who made a difference in Malaysian (civil) society, e.g. Karpal Singh from Georgetown, Eric Paulsen from daerah Manjung etc. Civil society organisations such as Aliran, Consumer’s Association of Penang, KUASA (Manjung environmentalist group associated with SAM). The idea is to highlight your local (civil society) heroes and achievements, as well as problems locals are facing which may not be adequately covered by the international media. Kuantan’s twin could highlight the Lynas issue, Gua Musang’s twin (if there is one) could highlight Orang Asli issues…and so on.
- …countless other possibilities depending on the creativity of each pair of ‘twins’… !