Global Bersih is a non-profit organization established under the Swiss Civil Code. It aims to support Malaysian civil society’s efforts to strengthen Malaysia’s maturing democracy using peaceful and legal means of action. For Malaysia to progress as a democratic society, the citizens’ right to a free and fair elections which is professional, impartial and transparent in all its stages of its administration must be promoted and protected.
Global Bersih sees the need to increase public understanding of what free and fair election means, not only to enhance voters’ awareness and knowledge, but also to uphold democracy in the country.
Global Bersih is proud to be part of the vibrant Swiss civil society as it enables a stronger international platform for it to advocate for its causes, taking advantage of the dynamic international human rights movement in Geneva, a global human rights capital.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
We aim to achieve:
- The full and effective fulfilment of Malaysia’s right to a free and fair election that includes ensuring transparency of electoral roll, reform of electoral process and procedures, strengthening of public institutions, eradication of corruption and culture of impunity, and enhancing participation of international observers and media to monitor the polls.
- An independent and effective Election Commission of Malaysia, especially in monitoring electoral discrepancies.
- The advancement of human rights, rule of law and democracy in Malaysia.
WHAT WE DO
- We provide a global platform for the voices and stories of ordinary Malaysians and civil society to reach out to the international community, in particular international human rights bodies, diplomatic missions, foreign media and civil society.
- We enrich local and international exchanges of Malaysian issues, both in Malaysia and abroad to feed into national efforts related to electoral reform.
- We galvanize support and increase commitment from Malaysians across the globe towards creating a stronger international momentum for electoral and democratic reform in Malaysia.
- We carry out training and capacity building to encourage overseas Malaysians to participate in the civil society and electoral process.
- We promote all the above through peaceful and constructive dialogue.